Exploring the influences on our region's economy.
National Bank of Commerce, together with leading area educational institutions and business front runner's, created and continues to sponsor the Regional Economic Indicators Forum (REIF); a comprehensive research initiative to drive growth, prosperity and collaboration across our region.
Next Forum: Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7-9:30 am (Program starts at 8)
7:00 Sign in
7:00 - 8:00 Networking
8:00 - 9:30 Student and keynote speaker presentations
DECC: Harbor Side Ballroom
Keynote Speaker: Panel: Neela Mollgaard - Executive Director of Launch Minnesota & Aaron Hagar - VP, Entrepreneurship and Innovation and Sector Strategy Development
The goals of the REIF are to:
- Support business owners in their business decisions by gathering key local economic indicators and trend information
- Develop specific economic indicators for this region that are not readily available to decision makers
- Develop tools to assess our progress in economic growth, prepare baseline measures that will allow comparison with other regions and measure future progress of the region
- Track the region’s participation in the “new economy” and development in the high-tech arena
- Collect and monitor data related to county-level economic performance, business and consumer confidence and regional stock performance
- Bring professionals together with business owners for discussion about the local economy and related critical issues in a collaborative, non-political environment
- Create a business recruitment and retention tool by publishing the information
The REIF Region is a 15-county area that covers Northeast Minnesota and Northwest Wisconsin. The eight counties of Minnesota include the Arrowhead Region — Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis counties — along with Pine County. The seven counties of Wisconsin include Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Sawyer and Washburn.
The REIF is governed by a steering and advisory committee comprised of representative(s) from:
Spring 2019 Student Presenters
- National Bank of Commerce
- College of St. Scholastica
- University of Minnesota, Duluth
- University of Wisconsin, Superior
- Small Business Development Center of Minnesota
- Small Business Development Center of Wisconsin
- Barr Engineering
- The Development Association
Fall 2019 Student Presenters
Resources such as APEX (Area Partnership for Economic Expansion), Business North and the Development Association of Superior-Douglas County are utilized as needed.
Meet the Regional Economics Faculty Research Staff.
Prior REIF Presentations and Reports:
To view a video of the Fall '18 forum please visit National Bank of Commerce's YouTube channel.